Some of our international English language students have been visiting the many beaches of Cork. Both on sunny , warm days and wet and wild windy days the beaches on the coast of Cork have something special to offer.
Myrtleville and Fountainstown Beaches
- Km from Cork City: 22km (Drive time – 30 minutes)
- Direction: SOUTH-Take the N28 via Carrigaline
- Nearest town: Carrigaline 4km
- Public Transport: 220A bus. Myrtleville Beach is 10 minutes walk down the hill from Crosshaven Rugby Club. The bus stops in Fountainstown
Myrtleville is a small sandy beach mainly used by residents of nearby holiday homes. Limited parking on the road. You can walk or drive from here to Fountainstown beach – about 1k away. Fountainstown beach is stony with lots of seaweed. It has a large free car park.
Myrtleville – Photo @jessburkephotos
Fountainstown – Photo @ramseysalim
The Dock Beach, Kinsale
- Km from Cork City: 29km ( Drive Time – 37 minutes)
- Nearest town: Kinsale 2km
- Public Transport: 226 bus
The Dock Beach Cork is a small well-sheltered beach located in Kinsale, Co Cork that offers a view of the harbour and Charlesfort. The beach is situated near James fort. The water is safe for swimming, there are no big waves or currents.
The Dock Beach, Kinsale – Photo @corkexplores
Garrettstown and Garrylucas Beaches
- Km from Cork City: 34km ( Drive Time – 40 minutes)
- Direction: EAST – Take the N27 via Cork Airport, Riverstick, Belgooly, Kinsale, Ballinspittle.
- Nearest town: Ballinspittle 2km
- Public Transport: 226 bus
Large sand and stony Blue Flag beach, great for surfing. Lifeguards present in Summer Season. Lots of parking on the beach front. Ask for directions to the nearby cliff walk, which affords fantastic views of the Celtic Sea on a clear day.
Garrettstown – Photo @atlantic_offshore_adventures
Garrylucas – Photo @yogaandval
White Bay Beach, Glanagow, Cork
- Km from Cork City: 40km
- Nearest Town: Whitegate ( 2.5km)
- Public Transport : 241 Bus
White Bay is a lovely scenic beach on the south coast of Ireland. Safe for swimming and offers an amazing view from the beach. Lots of yachts, boats, and tankers come past in the distance as it’s near the entrance to Cork port. To access the beach, you need to park up at the Car Park and walk down a long lane to the beach. There is a long steep walk up and down from the parking park. Do not forget to check the tides, as the beach gets small at high tide.
- Km from Cork City: 34 km (Drive Time – 40 Minutes)
- Direction: EAST – Take the N25 via Midleton, Castlemartyr, Ladysbridge.
- Nearest town: Ladysbridge 2km
- Public Transport: 240 bus
A very large sand and stony Blue Flag Beach. Life guards present in Summer Season. Gets extremely busy on fine weekends. Lots of parking along the beach front. Good childrens playground on beach front. Fast food vans are there on fine weekends.
Garryvoe Beach – Photo @stayatsentio
- Km from Cork City: 48k (Drive time – 50 Minutes)
- Direction: EAST – Take N25 via Midleton, Castlemartyr, Killeagh
- Nearest town: Youghal – 300 metres
- Public Transport: 40 bus & 260 bus
An extremely long and popular Blue Flag Beach. Was one of the main beach areas for Cork City residents in the 50’s and 60’s when a train ran from the city right to the beach. Lots of parking on the main road.
Youghal Beach – Photo @shanahan55
- Km from Cork City: 50km (Drive time – 50 minutes)
- Direction: WEST – Take N71 via Half Way, Bandon, Timoleague
- Nearest town: Courtmacsherry – 500 metres
- Public Transport: 239 bus (Not all services)
- Km from Cork City: 50km (Drive time – 55 minutes)
- Direction: SOUTH – Take N71 via Bandon, Clonakilty
- Nearest town: Clonakilty 4km
Located 4km southeast of the delightful village of Clonakilty and 50km southwest of Cork City, Inchydoney Beach is popular amongst tourists and locals alike. It’s arguably one of the best known beaches in West Cork and it’s a fine place for a stroll or a paddle.
Incydoney Beach – Photo @corkdrones
The Warren Beach
- Km from Cork City: 58km (Drive time – 1 hour 15 mins)
- Direction: WEST – Take N71 via Bandon, Clonakilty, Rosscarbery
- Nearest town: Rosscarbery 2km
- Public Transport: 237 bus. 20 minutes walk from Rosscarbery.
- Km from Cork City: 58km (Drive time 1hour 15 mins)
- Direction: WEST – Take N71 via Bandon, Clonakilty, CastlefrekeVery nice sandy beach in quite a rural location.
Owenahincha Beach – Photo @mplaice
Check out here for even more beaches in West Cork.