Student Social Activity Programme
The Social Activity Programme is a very important part of the Cork English Academy experience and we try to make sure that we have something for everybody.
Learning in the school is greatly enhanced when students are involved in social and activity events. The Social Activity Programme enables students to continue to learn about Irish culture and heritage while practicing and developing their language skills in the real world. We strongly encourage students to take part in the school’s weekly organised events along with promoting activities, festivals and interesting places to visit in Cork and surrounding areas.
Weekly Organised Events
– First Day Guided Walking tour of the city, free
– Afternoon Class (conversation class) free
- Tuesdays: Afternoon Class (pronunciation class workshop), free
- Wednesdays: Afternoon Class (conversation class workshop, different topic than Monday), free
– Afternoon Class (grammar workshop) free
– Visits to local art galleries or museums (Crawford Gallery, Butter Museum, Shandon Bells)
– Board Games (all games are educational and encourage using English language skills learned during class time. Games include: Discover Ireland, Who’s Who, Don’t Say It, Junior Scrabble), free
- Fridays: Half Day trip 14.00 – 18.00 (Cobh, Kinsale, Blarney Castle, Fota Wildlife Park, Blackrock Observatory) , €11-€19
- Saturdays and Sundays: Full Day Trips(The Ring of Kerry & Killarney National Park, Cliffs of Moher, Dingle Peninsula, Cobh & Blarney) organised by Paddywagon Tours, €30,
Job Club – First Wednesday of every month:
- Advice on CV and letter of application creation
- How to seek a job effectively (building profiles on Irish job sites and sharing recruitment agencies details)
- Job interview preparation
Learning Strategies – Final Wednesday of every month:
- Emphasis is placed on learner-autonomy, giving students the tools to help them progress and develop their language learning by themselves.
- Exploring ways of learning outside of the classroom: Journal writing, using the Internet and technology
2 Evening Organised Activities per Week
- Irish dancing lessons (excluding summer months) €7.50
- Traditional pub nights, free
- Greyhound racing , €21 approx and includes entry to the event, return transport from Ballincollig, a €2 euro bet and €4 euro food or drink card
- Bowling, €8 approx
- Football on astro-turf @ UCC sports hall, €8 approx
- Cork City Gaol night tour, €10 approx
- Pub Quiz night, free
Weekly activities vary depending on season and what is on in Cork at the time. Prices are external providers and are subject to change.