Permission to Remain

Permission to Remain

Students from non-EU countries intending on staying in Ireland for over 90 days will need to register for Permission to Remain with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) in Cork city. The GNIB issue international students with an Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

On arrival at the airport in Ireland you will be asked at the immigration desk what is your reason for entering Ireland and you need to say you are enrolled on an English language programme in Cork and show the immigration official the school letter. The immigration official will see that the school dates are for 8 months and will tell you that you need to go to the immigration office in Cork to get their permission to remain before a certain date (which will be within the 90 days, usually within the first month of your stay).

The Garda office/ GNIB official in Cork will ask for: 

  • Your Passport and Study Visa (for visa requiring countries)
  • A completed IRP-1 registration form (the school will give you this form)
  • That you are enrolled on a privately funded English language course which is listed on the ‘Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP), administered by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS)’.
    (Cork English Academy’s Academic Year courses are on this).
  • A Letter of Acceptance from the school, confirming you have been accepted and enrolled on a course of full-time education, involving a minimum of 15 hours organised daytime tuition each week for a minimum of 25 weeks within the year; (Cork English Academy’s Academic Year programme is suitable).
  • You must have proof that fees have been paid to the school (you will get a letter from the school).
  • You are required to have private medical insurance at time of permission to remain registration (this is not travel insurance). The medical insurance details need to be in English. The school can organise this with a medical insurance firm for €100.
  • Proof that you have access to €3,000 at first registration, to support yourself, live in Ireland without going into business or getting a job, or availing of any State Benefits. We encourage students to apply for an Irish bank account during their first week because it can take a up to 4 weeks. The school will provide you with a letter that you need in order to open an Irish bank account. Here are the guidelines with regarding Evidence of Finances from the INIS:

Visa required students (examples Colombia, China, Peru, Russia, Venezuela)

Visa required students who obtained a study visa to come to Ireland will no longer be obliged to present evidence of finance, on first registration, on the basis that the appropriate checks on finance have already been undertaken as part of the visa application process.

Non Visa required students (examples Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Uruguay)

Students who did not require a visa and who are studying in Ireland can avail of the following options as a means of demonstrating finances (on first registration) of a minimum level of €3000. 

You must prove that you can support yourself financially after you arrive here. You do this by showing you have direct access to €3,000.

Proof of this can be in one of the following options:

Option 1 – Proof from an Irish bank
If you choose this option, you must bring an original statement from an Irish bank that shows a balance of €3,000. The statement must be for an account in your own name, ie the same name as in your passport.

Option 2 – Proof from a foreign bank
If you choose this option, you must bring 2 original bank statements from a foreign bank.
The first statement must show a balance of €3,000. The statement must less than 1 month old.
The second statement must be from the same bank for the past 6 months. It must be no less than 6 months old.

Both statements must be for the same account and in your own name, ie the same name as in your passport.

You must also show that you have a debit card (for cash withdrawals in Ireland).The debit card must be for the same bank account that has the €3,000.

If the student chooses this option and the currency is not in Euro than a printout from a currency converter is required to show the amount in Euro’s on the day of registration.

Option 3 – Proof via a pre-paid credit card or debit card
If you choose this option, you must bring evidence to demonstrate to the registration office that you have a pre-paid credit card(s) or debit card(s) with €3,000.

Important Notes

If a student chooses options 2 or 3 then they must also show proof of address in Cork other than the school letter or medical insurance. This can be a contract with their landlord or a utility bill in their own name such as an electricity or phone bill.

If the student chooses option 1 then their Irish bank account statement will act as their proof of address in Cork.

If the Garda/GNIB official is happy with all documents supplied he will grant permission to remain, stamp your passport with a stamp  and give you details of how to get your Irish Residence Permit (IRP). The registration will be for 8 months and will be renewable 2 times, up to a maximum of 3 periods. The cost of this per registration is €300

Important Student Responsibility

Students should make sure, however, that the option selected is available to them. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that they are entitled to avail of the option they select taking into account the requirements imposed by the bank or financial institution on opening and operating bank accounts in the State.